London Knights shake hands with the Owen Sound Attack following the game.
Media Credit: Stefan Nichol

Knights Swept Away

Stefan Nichol

The Knights entered into Game 4 with their backs against the wall, down 3 games to nil in their best-of-7 series against the Owen Sound Attack. While the scores have been tight with London losing two in OT, both by a score of 4-3, and the opener also by a goal, the stats showed a divide with Owen Sound having outshot them by a total of 132-73 in the series. Formenton (5G, 1A), Bouchard (1G, 4A), and goaltender Joseph Raaymakers, would all have to be at the top of their game if the team had any hope of shutting down the Owen Sound Attack’s Lyszczarczyk (4G, 2A), McKenzie (4G, 2A), and London-native Nick Suzuki (1G, 4A), and avoiding the sweep. The first period was full of action. While Owen Sound carried the play for the most part, London was not without its chances, seeing both #80 Formenton and #17 Dunkley each having opportunities coming off turnovers early on, before Formenton was sent in alone again at the 8-minute mark. However, it was the Attack who struck first, with a breakaway of their own. #16 Hancock scooped up a loose puck which had been chipped out of his zone while short-handed, and deked goaltender #32 Joseph Raaymakers, beating him on the blocker side. The second saw a shift in play. #42 Golden beat the Owen Sound netminder, but not the post, with the Knights opening shot. Things would go downhill from there though as the team managed only 3 others in the entire period. Despite this lackluster play, Owen Sound only capitalized once, this time on the powerplay. Again it was Hancock bulging the back of the net with a rocket of a one-timer from the slot, hammering home the faceoff draw which was won by #12 McKenzie. In the third the Knights gave the hometown crowd a glimmer of hope when #18 Foudy scoring his first of the playoffs. He picked up the puck after it had been knocked off Formenton’s stick and slid it past #34 Lafreniere with just under 10 minutes remaining in play. This was not to be their night though, as Bouchard took a tripping call with 3 minutes left in play, all but killing any hopes of a comeback. In the final minute the Knights pulled their goalie, but despite the extra attacker they were unable to create opportunities before the clock ran down. The games 3 stars were: 1) Kevin Hancock, 2) Alex Formenton, and 3)Brett McKenzie. Owen Sound outshot London 40-22, going ¼ on the powerplay. The Knights were 0/3.