London FC vs OSU Force

FC London blows past OSU Force 6-0

Stefan Nichol

Saturday afternoon saw the OSU Force come to the German Canadian Club to face off against FC London. OSU came into the match with a record of 1-2-2 after having drawn North Mississauga SC 3-3 in their previous outing. FC London, 3-1-1, began the match in 5th place following a 3-1 win at home over Aurora FC.

     FC London began to press early in the game with #15 Randy Ribeiro drawing a foul at the edge of the area. #10 James Pucci had a nice attempt on the free kick but OSU goalkeeper Jared St. Thomas was equal to the task saving the shot which was dipping towards the bottom right corner. In the 19th minute the OSU keeper was again called upon as he got a foot to the shot by #23 Connor Wilson. Moments later another shot hit the bar keeping the score level at 0-0. It wasn’t until the 27th minute that FC London broke through with #8 Reza Nafar, who also plays for Western’s Men’s team, chipping one into the far side of the net over a diving goaltender. This goal sparked the opposition into life with 2 amazing chances off of back-to-back corner kicks. FC London goaltender #1 Anthony Sokalski had help from a defender taking the ball off the line after he had made the save of the match pushing a header just over the bar on the previous corner. In the 35th minute OSU missed another great opportunity as #22 headed a ball within inches of the top right corner. Despite this new-found life in the opposition it was the home team who would strike again. This time it was #7 Ethan Gopaul firing a rocket of a shot into the top left corner of the net in the 38th minute. FC London wasn’t finished there. During stoppage time Connor Wilson got ahold of the ball just outside of the area, cut towards the center of the pitch and perfectly placed a shot into the bottom left-corner sending FC London into the break with a 3-goal lead.

     During the second half FC London continued to pressure the opposition. It paid off in the 64th minute with #5 Parker Seymour chasing down a backpass. The OSU keeper made a horrible blunder kicking the ball off the FC London defender and into his own net making it 4-0 for the home team. In the 79th minute another stroke of bad luck led to the 5th goal of the match with a strike by Randy Ribeiro taking a deflection off a defender before finding its way to the back of the net. A minute later Parker Seymour again made his presence known, this time in his own area as he charged down a shot, preserving the clean sheet in the process. FC London closed out the match with a 6th goal late into stoppage time with Connor Wilson putting his second of the game, and 4th of the season, into the net.

     FC London, now in third, plays its next match at the Hershey Centre vs North Mississauga SC July 7th at 9pm before returning home to face the Sanjaxx Lions Friday July 13th at 8:30pm. The OSU Force plays its next match on July 8th, also against the Sanjaxx Lions.