FC London Women's Soccer

London's Unbeaten Streak Snapped

FC London Women's Soccer

Greg Bowman

FC London’s women’s team were looking to extend an unbeaten streak to six games, squaring off against the second-place Oakville Blue Devils. London was coming off a 1-1 draw against DeRo United, while the Blue Devils were searching for their fourth win in a row.

Oakville came away with a 4-0 win over London in the Father’s Day matinee.

“I think our girls have been in fairly good form lately and had a couple good performances,” said Head Coach Mike Marcoccia, whose team suffered their first loss since the opening game of the season, “it’s normal to struggle sometimes… I’ll take this one on the head and I don’t think our team deserves to lose 4-0 ever.

The battle started off with London picking the pace. They moved the ball around quickly through the midfield and utilized the boundaries.

“We wanted to open up the game and score first and obviously once we weren’t able to, we exposed ourselves to the counterattack,” said Marcoccia.

That counterattack was best exemplified in the 22nd minute where the Blue Devils got a foot on a cross that was destined for the back of the net, but London keeper Emily Gillet made a miraculous diving stop, deflecting it off her hand and then off the crossbar.

The first half saw London get some chances of their own, with striker Jade Kovacevic breaking through for a couple of runs but was unable to capitalize on any of them. She and Marisa Oliveira also missed a free kick each in the opening half from just outside the penalty area.

After a scoreless first half, Oakville came out firing in the second half. Rachel Leck found some room just inside the box and blasted home the game’s opening goal in the 48th minute. Two minutes after that, Laura Twidle scored a screamer from 25-yards out that blistered into the top portion of the net. In five minutes, the Blue Devils were up 2-0.

Mahira Ali iced the game with a goal 15 minutes later, then added another on a penalty kick in injury time.

The loss snaps a five-game unbeaten streak by London, which saw them pick up three wins and two draws. This most recent loss will not linger with those on the team though: “I think everyone’s going to be sad for like, two days,” explained Marcoccia, “I can guarantee [that] once they come back to training on Tuesday this will be long forgotten about.”

The ladies’ next game will be on June 22nd when they hit the road to play Aurora FC.