NEWSCAST - Wednesday 19th August 2020
- Katja Murray is one of six new Schulich Leader Scholarship students who will be attending Western this fall.
- Western has appointed Terry McQuaid – a psychologist with national leadership experience in equity, mental health and violence prevention – as its first director of student wellness and well-being.
LOCAL AND NATIONAL:
- More than 550 health-care workers in Southwestern Ontario have contracted COVID-19 since the pandemic began, with the London area among the highest in the region in percentage of total cases who are the frontline staff.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced the extension of the deadline to apply for the Prime Minister Youth Council to August 31st.
Applicants can visit canada.ca/youth-council to know more.
- Some experts say inclusion and competitive fairness conflict as leaders consider how to regulate the athletic participation of transgender women.
- Iconic UK music brand NME has launched in Asia, even as the entertainment industry is hit by the coronavirus.
- On Thursday, expect a temperature of 28 degrees with cloudy skies. Moving onto Friday expect temperatures to be 29 degrees with sunny skies. Expect temperatures to be at a max. Of 22 degrees.